Tarik & Julia Banzi and their Al-Andalus Ensemble perform cutting edge original music and arrangements with virtuosity and passion. The Banzi’s bring their fresh and invigorating instrumental style to the stage that genuinely connects with audiences of all ages. Their unique brand of music bridges world, traditional contemporary and classical genres.
The Al-Andalus Ensemble has recorded six albums and performed as guest artists on dozens more. Their latest and most exciting CD of original music is titled 21 Strings and features Grammy Award winning violinist Charlie Bisharat in an award winning World-chamber trio of oud, violin and guitar. 21 Strings has just been nominated for "Best Contemporary Classical Album of 2010" in the 9th annual Independent Music Awards program. Here you can listen. Please take a moment to register and vote! IMA Award Nominee/Vote link The title track of their album Alchemy was awarded the JPFolks "Peoples Grammy Award" for "Best World Music Song of 2009" and was selected from over 560,000 entries from 163 countries. Vision is an album where the oud, quintessential classical Arabic music instrument is explored in a series of solo improvisations, duets, quartets and innovative uses of the oud. Genetic Memories is a somewhat experimental album of traditional and contemporary Andalusian pieces, listeners have likened the Al-Andalus Ensemble to the "Kronos Quartet of World Music. Illumination is a recording that tells the story of flamenco. An album where Classical Arabic, Sephardic, African, South Indian Carnatic and Jazz music are clear foundations for the music shadowed by Spain’s traditional Flamenco.Discography
Music Composed for Television & Film
- "Dreaming in Morocco" Composer, Directed by Pamela Nice.
- "Three Faiths, One God" Composer, Directed by Jerry Krell.
- "The Language of Peace" Music composed and performed for the National Public Radio series Legacies: Faith, Hope & Peace (Los Angeles, CA USA).
- "Delirios de Amor" Starring Antonio Banderas, composed/performed movie soundtrack for film by Spanish filmaker Felix Rotaeta (Madrid, Spain).
- "Pedro the Cruel" Composer/Performer w/Enrique Morente for National Spanish Television series Radio Television National Espanola R.T.N.E. (Madrid, Spain).
- "Music Magic" King Broadcasting Television (Seattle, Washington USA)
- "Mosaic" Live performance video release (Portland Oregon USA)
Music Composed /Performed for Theater
- "Hamlet" (Shakespeare) composed/performed musical score (Tangier, Morocco)
- "Isbar" Composed/ performed music Teatro Municipal de Madrid (Madrid, Spain)
- "Henry IV Part II" Composed/performed music for Tigris Heart Shakespeare Company, (Pdx, Oregon)
- "Romeo & Juliet" Composed/performed music for Tigris Heart Shakespeare Company, (Pdx, Oregon)
- "Bodas de Sangre" Composed/performed musical Score, The Musical Company (Portland, Oregon USA)
- "Salome" Composed/performed musical score for Nuria Espert Theater Company touring Europe extensively including: Roman Amphitheater, Rome Italy. Parthenon Athens, Greece. Theater Grec De Montjuic, Barcelona, Spain. Merida Roman Amphitheater, Merida, Spain. Pavelon Municipal de Deportes. (Valencia, Spain)
- "La Barraca" Composer/Musician/Actor; Spanish Company performing all works by Garcia Lorca, touring extensively in Spain, Russia, Rumania, Yugoslavia. (Madrid, Spain)
Paco de Lucia, Nasrollah Moein, Jorge Pardo, Radio Tarifa, Dariush Eghbali, Ebrahim Hamedi (Ebi), Manolo Sanlucar, Billy Oskay (Nightnoise), Carles Benavent, Enrique Morente, Guadalquivir, Pepe de Lucia, La Trinca, Tijeritas, Celesta, Salpicao, Michael Shreive, Graham Leer of Carlos Santana, Dan Crary, Carolyn Cruso, Cam Newton, Lief Sorbye, Magical Strings, Musica Femina, Paul Winter, John Doan, Oregon Repertory Singers, 3 Leg Torso, Enrique Valdivieso…